The Cochran files: New WIND host has a lot to do
He’s had more than a year to plan for his big Chicago radio comeback, but Steve Cochran still has quite a few loose ends to tie up before show time today. He’d better hurry.
The Chicago radio veteran’s new afternoon show airs from 5 to 7pm weekdays on Salem Communications news/talk WIND-AM (560). To his credit, Cochran has lined up an impressive guest list for his opener, including United States Senators Dick Durbin and Mark Kirk and Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith. (The second hour of his WIND show also will air on KTRS-AM in St. Louis, where he's been working since January.)
“It’s the Cochran show you know — less hair, double chin, big forehead — but even better than before,” he boasts. His legion of fans has been waiting for this day even since he got the boot in June 2010 from WGN-AM (720) after 10 years at the Tribune Co.-owned news/talk station.
While rifling through Cochran’s trash the other day (looking for incriminating photos and candy wrappers), I came across a paper titled Last Minute To-Do List Before My First Show on AM560 WIND. It appeared to be in Cochran’s handwriting. Here’s what it said:
- Continue going door-to-door to tell WGN listeners that I’M BACK!
- Text Congress and tell them to stop talking to TV cameras and start working together.
- Text the President to stop campaigning and be better at the job you already have.
- Text Bachmann and Perry to tighten up, Paul and Romney to lighten up, and Sarah Palin to get in or stay out . . . immediately.
- Try to get a last minute appointment for more hair/less chins/smaller forehead surgery.
- Politely turn down job as Oprah’s court jester.
- Check my email to see if Randy Michaels sent good luck wishes.