Hubbard wins, places and shows in midday ratings race
Call it the Chicago trifecta: When it comes to the radio stations adults are listening to between morning and afternoon drive, there’s the Hubbard trio — and then there’s everybody else.
In Arbitron figures released Monday, Hubbard Radio’s classic rock WDRV-FM (97.1), adults hits WILV-FM (100.3) and hot adult-contemporary WTMX-FM (101.9) finished first, second and third, respectively, during the midday time period in the highly desirable 25-to-54 demographic.
The three stations combined commanded an impressive 15.5 percent share of all adult listenership between 10am and 3pm Monday through Friday. That’s up from a combined 14.9 share in April.
Two Spanish-language regional Mexican stations — Univision Radio’s WOJO-FM (105.1) and Spanish Broadcasting System’s WLEY-FM (107.9) — captured the fourth and fifth spots in middays for a combined 8.8 share of adults.
Dig deeper in the ratings and you’ll find another spirited horse race among various talk formats in the early midday hours. Sports/talk in particular leads the pack, with the Score’s Dan McNeil and Matt Spiegel and ESPN 1000’s Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman delivering a combined 6.8 share of adults.
Here’s a snapshot from the Arbitron ratings for May of Chicago’s top talk stations from 9 to 11am weekdays, followed by share of listeners between 25 and 54:
- WSCR-AM (670) CBS Radio sports/talk 4.0 Dan McNeil and Matt Spiegel
- WMVP-AM (1000) ESPN sports/talk 2.8 Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman
- WBBM-AM (780)/WCFS-FM (105.9) CBS Radio news 2.1
- WLS-AM (890) Cumulus Media news/talk 2.1 Bruce Wolf and Dan Proft
- WBEZ-FM (91.5) Chicago Public Media news 1.4
- WGN-AM (720) Tribune Co. news/talk 1.3 Mike McConnell
- WCPT-AM (820)/WCPT-FM (92.7) Newsweb Radio news/talk 0.5 Stephanie Miller
- WIQI-FM (101.1) Merlin Media news 0.4
- WIND-AM (560) Salem Broadcasting news/talk 0.1 Glenn Beck
Thursday update: In response to reader inquiries, I obtained and posted the Arbitron share for Newsweb Radio's WCPT-AM (820) and WCPT-FM (92.7) above.