Eve of destruction
Here's where to pop your cork on NYE before the hell that is January sets in.
BBR NYE Ohm, 1958 W North Ave at Damen and Milwaukee Aves (773-278-4646). El: Blue to Damen. Bus: 50, 56, 72. 9pm, $65. Boom Boom Room comes home to its roots with a NYE party at its original location (the former Red Dog). Join DJs Jon Cutler, Michael Serafini, Andre Harris, Just Joey, John Curley and Greg Bauer for an evening of cranked-up club sounds including a buffet hosted by Cafe Absinthe and a video countdown and balloon drop.
* Beat-Dazzled NYE Berlin, 954 W Belmont Ave between the El tracks and Sheffield Ave (773-348-4975). El: Red, Brown, Purple (rush hrs) to Belmont. Bus: 22 Clark (24hrs), 77 Belmont (24hrs). 10pm, $25. Exactly what does Berlin look like before midnight? Find out at this NYE party starring Leslie and the LYs and continuing until dawn with music from DJs Greg Haus and Chester.
* Club 5400 Mary’s Attic, 5400 N Clark St at Balmoral Ave (773-784-6969). Bus: 22 Clark (24hrs), 92 Foster. 9pm, $10. Mary’s goes bi (level, that is) for this double-decker NYE bash featuring an appetizer buffet and lounging on the first floor coupled with dancing and a Champagne toast up in the attic.
* Indulgence Doubletree Hotel, 1909 Spring Rd, Oak Brook (630-472-6000). 3pm; $40, for overnight accommodations for two plus party tickets $250. Party makers Pat and Vera host the most comprehensive party in town (well, Oak Brook anyway). This bash for women of color kicks off with a pre-event mixer at 4pm, then moves on to dinner and a movie, including a buffet and screening of The Lovers and Friends Show, an “ethnic lesbian series.” Things really switch into high gear after 9pm with a louder-than-bombs party featuring guest DJs, party favors, cash bar and midnight balloon drop with Champagne.
FREE Naughty or nice? 3160, 3160 N Clark St at Belmont Ave (773-327-5969). El: Red, Brown, Purple (rush hrs) to Belmont. Bus: 8, 22 (24hrs), 77 (24hrs). 9pm. Pop the cork with singer Gio, whose weekly show Pop! Goes the Gio celebrates with a special NYE edition featuring guest vocalists, giveaways and midnight bubbly.
FREE New Year’s Eve at Spyners Spyners, 4623 N Western Ave at Lawrence Ave (no phone). El: Brown to Western. Bus: 49 Western (24hrs), 81 Lawrence (24hrs). 9pm. It’s hip to be Lincoln Square. Join girl-centric Spyners for free food and party favors plus a complimentary Champagne toast at midnight.
* New Year’s Eve at Wild Pug Wild Pug, 4810 N Broadway at Lawrence Ave (773-784-4811). El: Red to Lawrence. Bus: 36 Broadway, 84 Lawrence. 8pm; $15, in advance $10. And here we thought the Pug moniker was just for show. Uptown’s new Brit saloon rings in the new year with a benefit for Northern Illinois Pug Rescue and Adoption featuring party favors, balloon drop, a complimentary coat check and a little bubbly as the clock strikes midnight.
NYE 09 at Minibar Minibar, 3341 N Halsted St at Roscoe St (773-871-6227). El: Red, Brown, Purple (rush hrs) to Belmont. Bus: 8, 77 (24hrs), 152. 7pm, $20–$300. Reserve a table for you and five mates ($300) for an evening of VIP service with private seating, a primo liquor bottle and appetizer, or come on the cheap; 20 bucks gets you party favors and a bubbled beverage at midnight.
NYE at Circuit Circuit, 3641 N Halsted St between Addison St and Waveland Ave (773-325-2233). El: Red to Addison. Bus: 8 Halsted, 152 Addison. 8pm; $50, with Circuit Card $25; in advance $30 or $15 with Circuit Card. Circuit makes use of its excellent space with a NYE party featuring a money-filled confetti blast and money-filled balloon drop plus a midnight countdown and sparkly toast. Paula Sinclaire and Veronica Zaid host while DJs Lulu and Daniel Burrero spin.
Retro Prom New Year’s Eve Spin, 800 W Belmont Ave at Halsted St (773-327-7711). El: Red, Brown, Purple (rush hrs) to Belmont. Bus: 8 Halsted, 77 Belmont (24hrs). 8:30pm; $75, in advance $45. Spin takes us back to our high-school years (which was the early Bush years for much of its clientele) for a prom-style party featuring commemorative portrait-style photos, an open bar until midnight, dessert buffet and chocolate mountain, and the ubiquitous midnight toast.
* FREE 31st Annual Black and Blue New Year’s Eve Party Touché, 6412 N Clark St at Devon Ave (773-465-7400). Bus: 22 (24hrs), 151 (24hrs), 155. 9pm. Kick the evening off with a free buffet, raffle and party favors. At midnight, it’s lights out, and that means starting ’09 with a bang (literally).
* 2009 NYE Sidetrack Sidetrack, 3349 N Halsted St at Roscoe St (773-477-9189). El: Red, Brown, Purple (rush hrs) to Belmont. Bus: 8, 77 (24hrs), 152. 7pm; $30, in advance $25. The busiest bar on Halsted celebrates ’09 with its benefit for Equality Illinois. The admission price covers free food, party favors and a Champagne toast at midnight.