The Time Out Chicago Mother's Day mega music mix
We've given you a list of Mother's Day movies. It only seemed fitting to deliver a similar (and similarly somewhat inappropriate) compilation of mom art in another medium. Some of our favorites were not on Spotify, so we've started with YouTube clips for those gems.
1. Annette Poindexter & Pipes of Peace - "Mama" Originally released on Chicago's Twinight label and unearthed by the Numero Group, this soul slayer with sawing strings brings us to our knees. Poindexter pleads to her mother for relationship advice. She dates a dirtbag and can't help but love him. That's what Mom's there for.
2. Kate Bush - "Mother Stands for Comfort" Despite the loving title, this is a dark ode. Kate Bush seems like she'd be a pretty rad Mom. Should be the closing credits to that batshit Bates Motel show.
3. The Beatles - "Your Mother Should Know" Perhaps the first nostalgic rock song. Figures that Paul is a Mama's boy (who won't allow music on residuals-light Spotify).
4. Roy Orbison - "Mama" Make Mom melt. Works like a bouquet of flowers hand crafted out of chocolate by Andrea Bocelli.
5. The Intruders – "I'll Always Love My Mama" Ditto the above. Only funkier.
6. Missy Elliott – "Mommy" Okay, I'm realizing how creepy and Oedipal this is. But, gosh, do I love Missy.
7. Dr. Dooom – "You Live at Home with Your Mom" We almost made this mix exclusively hip-hip.
8. Fountains of Wayne – "Stacy's Mom" Who say's you have to just celebrate your Mom?
9. Clipse – "Mamma I'm So Sorry" Moms love apologies, and love baking. But coke cooking? Not so much.
10. Poliça – "I See My Mother" Wrap yourself in a Snuggie of Auto-Tune.
11. Tears for Fears – "Mothers Talk" As often as I heard this song in the '80s, I never realized until today it had the word Mother in the title. Huh.
12. Danzig – "Mother" Just beat out the Misfits' "Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?" Nah, not really. This is the anthem for those with maternal issues. But head-butting is a sign of love amongst goats and elephants. (We have no zoological authority to back up this claim.)
13. LL Cool J – "Mama Said Knock You Out" This should make you overlook "Accidental Racist."
14. Tupac – Dear Mama It's the ultimate Hallmark card, in thug life form.