Top five things that have revolutionized club culture
1. Serato. Gone are the days of lugging hefty crates of records to the club. Thanks to digital software, DJs have 100 times the amount of music with them wherever they go.
2. Blogs. Never before have DJs had such unrestricted access to talented producers and remixers whose work would otherwise never see the light of day.
3. Funktion One sound systems. Possibly the best sound system—period—it was once an exclusive part of European club culture. Over the last few years, though, venues like Smart Bar and Manor have caught on, and we couldn’t be happier.
4. Dance music’s merge back into pop culture. Daft Punk’s larger-than-life performance at 2007’s Lollapalooza officially ushered in the mainstream renaissance.
5. Beatport. Digital DJ store Beatport.com has led the charge in stocking our virtual crates since 2004.