EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: A first look at Urban Union
In this week's magazine I profile chef Ryan Poli, a young man whose handsome face is that of a certain generation of Chicago chefs. I, along with the rest of Chicago, first heard Poli's name in 2005, when he opened the restaurant Butter with Jason Chan. That restaurant had a rocky ending that left both Chan and Poli looking for other work. As the story details, Poli went on to several other projects, the most high-profile of which is Tavernita, slated to open late this year.
But Poli is apparently not the only Butter alum who will stage a comeback in December. Jason Chan also has a new restaurant in the works (his first major venture since Butter). It's called Urban Union (1421 W Taylor St), and, as the logo says, it was established 1997.
No, that's not a typo—1997 is the year Chan and his chef/partner Michael Shrader (Epic) met.
Check out the video above for a first look at Urban Union—the raw space, the philosophy and some hints about the menu, from which I've also listed some items below.
Selected items from Urban Union's menu:
- Wood oven roasted spicy fish pot with mussels, clams, squid and tomato broth
- Parsnip soup with roasted squab, thyme and aged balsamic
- Lobster consommé with wild mushrooms, caramelized baby turnips and oil drops
- Slow-roasted wood oven pork shoulder with farro and crispy pork tails
- Wood grilled skirt steak with two eggs, a salad of arugula, red wine sauce and roquefort butter (a brunch dish)