Southport: The comfort food stop
Butter burgers, corn bread and more off the Brown Line.
Tracking the history
The celery-farming community of Lake View Township was annexed into Chicago in 1889, leading to the construction of Weeghman Park (now Wrigley Field) to the east in 1914 and a shopping district to the south in 1917, anchored by Wieboldt’s department store at Belmont and Ashland Avenues.
2007–08, when the station installed platform extensions, ADA accessibility and a leak-proof entrance canopy
Thirsty? One of the station’s exits leads directly into the Galleria liquor store (3409 N Southport Ave, 773-857-6200).—Julia Borcherts