Five new gyms in Chicago
Wicker Park Athletic Club, Lacuna Fitness and other gyms recently opened in Chicago.
1. Lacuna Fitness You have to be a personal trainer to be a member of this Printers Row fitness facility. Personal trainers and fitness instructors pay a monthly membership to gain access to the multilevel, fully equipped shared gym space, where they can host their individual or group classes or one-on-one training sessions. To find out which trainers use this gym, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. 645 S Clark St (312-663-1441).
2. 5th Line Studio This River North gym near the Merchandise Mart concentrates on the Gyrotonic machine (which allows you to stretch and strengthen muscles). But other classes include Pilates, yoga and UltraBarre, a mix of ballet barre, dance conditioning and Pilates-based movements taught by Joffrey Ballet pros. Rates start at $85 for private sessions, $60 for groups of two and $17 for small group yoga classes. 222 W Hubbard St (312-888-3175).
3. Morning Bird Studio Gearing up for a big cycling race and need more hands-on training? Then this Lakeview studio is a must-visit. The boutique gym has a heavy focus on cycling-centric coaching sessions, but also offers small group strength-training and yoga classes. Bonus: free espresso shots and a client-chosen playlist (via Spotify). 3708 N Halsted St (773-351-2222).
4. Planet Fitness Chicago This gym chain (with locations in Brooklyn, Madison and more) is about to open its largest facility yet in space that used to house an Avondale Jewel-Osco. The gym, open 24 hours a day Monday–Friday (with additional weekend hours) features the only double 30-minute cardio circuit at any Planet Fitness. And, more impressive, gym memberships start at only $10 per month. 3120 N Pulaski Road (773-685-4140).
5. Wicker Park Athletic Club The latest location of the Chicago Athletic Club chain features the usual gym offerings (cardio and free-weight equipment, group exercise classes, yoga, personal training) as well as a few nicer perks: free Wi-Fi, towel service and free parking for members. 1635 W Division St (312-850-4668).