CTA debuts new 5000 series railcars | Photos
Can I share something? I get excited about improvements in public transportation. Really, I'm that kind of guy. Now that you know that, take a look at the CTA's lovely photos of today's debut of the 5000 series CTA cars at the Midway station on the Orange Line.
Some key facts about the new cars, via the CTA.
• They're made by Bombardier Transportation.
• After a testing period, the first of 706 brand new, full production model cars will debut on the Pink Line. As new cars are built, they will be tested internally before going into service.
• These cars have wider aisles, roomier interiors, electronic destination signs and security cameras in each car.
• The rail cars have an aisle-facing seating configuration which adds six inches to the narrowest portion of the aisle, allowing more room for riders with backpacks, packages, luggage, strollers and bikes.
• The total cost of the rail cars $1.137 billion which is funded by two CTA bond issuances backed by sales tax receipts.